Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Information overload......but in a good way!

I just sat in on my first #scichat on twitter. I must admit, I had no idea what to expect. At first I was totally overwhelmed. Way too much information coming at me way too quickly. Once I sat back and just watched it happen for a bit, though, the pace became more comfortable and eventually I felt like I could keep up with the dialogue. I even got brave enough to chime in a few times.....

In summary, this is an AMAZING resource. I tagged and bookmarked so much info that I now need to go through and organize/synthesize. I will use all of this new material as motivation to take on my next web tool....Delicious. More on that soon.....

2 comments:

  1. I too checked this out and was more than overwhelmed...at first by the sheer volume of postings and then by the number of great "new" ideas mentioned. I think I have a list of 9 or 10 new tech features to check out now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining! If you think #scichat is overwhelming, try #edchat! We have only done 2 #scichats, so it is a pretty small community (I think 40 participated in the second one). #edchat regularly has well over 100 participants!

    Don't feel like you have to absorb everything. I usually keep two windows open. One with the #scichat search (so I get all of the #scichat updates) and a second to see all of the replies directed to me (@brunsell).

    So far, I'm 2 for 2... I have one really good project idea from each of the two #scichats. More importantly, I also have collaborators interested in the projects. In reality, I don't know if either will pan out, but they might...and could be spectacular!

    I you do get an idea that you really want to pursue, it is a good idea to use the "direct message" function (the person has to be following you) or at least send a reply (start with @name) to let them know that you liked the idea and want to try it (or collaborate with them).

    ReplyDelete