Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Shift in Mindset; Storytelling as a Learning Tool in Science

I need to admit that I used to be a skeptic. I've heard about digital storytelling before and anytime anyone has suggested it as a useful tool in the classroom I've kind of stuck my nose up in the air. I know it's fairly close-minded of me, but I hear the word "story-telling" and immediately associate anything that follows with a elementary school or younger curriculum. Well, after this weeks readings, however, I have concluded that my skepticism was solely a result of ignorance. I am not afraid to scream it from the roof tops now; I am a believer!
As a read through this week's assignments and started to mess around with a few of the recommended tools, so many applications started streaming through my brain. The possibilities are truly endless!
Looking over some of the timeline applications I was thinking how useful they might become when taking on a topic such as the history of the atom. In the past I have completed these units in lecture format followed by an assessment of sorts. Very dry, I realize...... How much more engaging would it be to take on the same material and ask the kids to create an interactive timeline with videos embedded?!?
Another thought is using this application as a replacement for a lab write-up. What if students had to video record a lab taking place and then go back and add a voice thread explaining what is occurring during the lab on a molecular level? This could also serve as a great resource to students who missed a lab due to an absence.
I am very excited about the possibilities that this weeks info has cultivated. Now I can't wait to spend the rest of the week putting of some of these ideas into action.....


2 comments:

  1. as i was reading your post regarding making timelines, i wondered if you have seen this app ? : http://www.timetoast.com/
    i found it as i was looking at the iste2010 conference links in twitter last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions, Caryn. Check out my most recent post.

    ReplyDelete