Thursday, July 1, 2010

Twitter, In Plain English, and the Power of Persuasion

I mentioned to a friend that I had started a twitter account as a requirement for a class. She couldn't believe it, as she didn't understand how tweeting could be educational or serve as a usable resource. In fact, I think her exact words were, "Isn't twitter just a means of following the happenings of people like Lance Armstrong and Tori Spelling!?!"
After admitting that I do in fact follow Lance Armstrong (I'm a total sucker...I know it!) I tried to explain to her just how you can use twitter to obtain up to date news and current event info and even collaborate with others in your field. Tried is the key word.....I really was having a hard time putting the benefits of this resource into simple terms and, as a result, the case I was attempting to make for twitter use was not very convincing. I must be spending too much time on this class :), because after a few babbles my mind immediately went to the In Plain English video series.....how would they explain the benefits of twitter use? I know it would be in a means that was clear and easy to comprehend. So, I put it to the test. I opened my computer and searched for the appropriate video. I pressed play and let "in plain english" do the talking.




3 hours later my friend called to tell me that she opened her own twitter account.

5 comments:

  1. Nice. I still haven't been using it much, but I can sure see the benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice of video to share with all of us. I might put a bit more of my time into looking at Twitter now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - Thanks for sharing this video. I had not seen it yet, and it does give me a better appreciation for Twitter! Lots of possibilities. Of course, to make it effective, there must be many members (that's happening!) and people must report news, etc. on it. Pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the video. I echo what everyone else has said about is and add that it really clarified the #hashtag issue for me. Now I know how to become a part of conversations like #scichat. Twitter does look better after that eye opener.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting the video! I have had a hard time explaining the point of using twitter to others, and this video was great! I learned some new things too. :)

    ReplyDelete