Friday, July 2, 2010

Timelines, Cute Baby Pics, and a New Approach to Methodology

On a suggestion from as classmate (thanks, Caryn!!!) I decided to check out a timeline tool called timetoast. This tool allows you to make a timeline for events of any time increment (it self adjusts appropriately as you go). You simply add events as you like. Each event can be identified with a title and then can be followed up with a detailed description. Pictures and links can also be added to each event. I found this tool to be very user friendly. I decided to try this tool out by putting together a quick timeline of my daughter's life. I picked a few milestones to document and went from there. The only issues I had was with picture size. There was a 3 mb limit on pictures to upload to the time line, so I had to spend sometime shrinking down images before I could start. Below is my attempt. The timeline is interactive and as you scroll over the dots you will see titles and images. If you click on any of the events, you will get the details behind each title.





Originally I was thinking this tool would be a fun way to study historical science topics like the history of the atom, but as I was putting this timeline together I was thinking of a different application. I think creating a timeline like this to explain lab methodology might be pretty cool, and it could take the place of a mundane lab write-up from time to time. Students could take pictures for each procedural step and then upload these photos with detailed descriptions into the timeline. Students could collaborate as timetoast timelines can be made public and there is room for comments underneath each project.

5 comments:

  1. Hmm, I'm interested in something like this. I want to create a history of microbiology timeline, and have the students do short videos of particular scientists. So I'm looking for kind of a hybrid and hope to find a way! I haven't found something quite yet. Thinking maybe voicethread, but I like the spatial timeline arrangement of this. Hmmm, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, thanks for sharing. I started to play with the site and ended up making a timeline for the MSSE capstone project. Then I thought "yikes" I don't want to think about that this month. If any of you took EDCI 505, we had several discussions about timelines. This is a great resource and fun way to make the timelines for ourselves and for our students to use. I immediately thought of the history of the periodic table, the history of the atomic theory, and the history of life on earth when I opened up the site. What a fun alternative to basic timelines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your idea to use this to substitute traditional lab write -ups once in a while is brilliant. I have not even heard of this tool yet and am impressed with your trial run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be a great alternative for lab write ups. I also think it would be great for Earth Sci teachers & geologic time -- students could do their own conversions to scale geologic time to a year, their lifetimes, etc.

    ReplyDelete