Sunday, July 11, 2010

Being creative with data in order to generate an argument and my first attempt at Jing

Or as my husband so cleverly suggested (I am humoring him here...) "Getting jingy with it"....but that will come later on in the post.

When coming up with an project inspired by the "Generate an Argument" instructional model created by Sampson and Grooms I wanted to create an activity that would really promote data manipulation. So many times I feel that students are simply given straightforward numbers and asked to make a conclusion. I wanted to push their data interpretation comfort zone a bit and create a situation where students had the opportunity to play with numbers to best fit their argument. To do this I created an assignment based on a very simple and highly subjective question:
What is the most dangerous type of cancer in Connecticut?
To answer this question the students will use data complied by the National Cancer Institute entitled "State Cancer Profiles". This data set incorporates historical trends, current mortality and incidence rates, demographic trends, and screening and risk factors. The site also allows for interactive comparative data testing between the above factors. The even cooler thing about this website is that not only can you create graphs comparing a variety of trends and risk factors, but all of the graphs and data tables that you create can be exported. Students will be required to export the data they use to back up their argument and incorporate it into a powerpoint presentation. The presentation will be followed by a question and answer session where they will have to defend the choices they made when coming up with their response to the question. This component of the assignment should be both quantitive and qualitative.
Here is the activity handout that I have created to use with this assignment.

Some of the components of the State Cancer Profile database are a bit tricky to understand at first. I was thinking a short video using Jing may help students better understand the capabilities of the website.
Maybe something like this?

4 comments:

  1. The Jing video is awesome! I haven't tried Jing out yet, but from your post, I have been inspired to do so. I think this could be very useful for students who are absent from class.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure I would use Jing, but this is a great idea. I also think the site is great. I found something a little similar on a UNICEF water site, but not sure it will graph and export, that's very cool. I'm going to have to chack out Jing some more and give the site to a colleague who teaches a non-majors cancer biology class. A project like yours would be great for her class. Do you mind if I pass it along? I can just email her your blog if that's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely share the project. I think the database has so much to offer students.
    As for Jing, I really liked using it. I was definitely intimidated at first, but the program is incredibly user friendly. You just crop your screen how you want it to be seen in the video and press record. There's a 3 second count down and then you start talking. The most difficult part was trying to figure out how to embed the video onto my blog. There is a great instructional site right on Jing that talks you through it, though. You actually have to add a new button to your recording screen (very easy to do). You then click it and the embedding code gets put right on your clipboard. From there you can paste it right into the html view of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of a screencast! I'm looking forward to reading your activity more closely.

    ReplyDelete