Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Science in a 21st Century Classroom and Little Inspiration from #scichat

Inspired by the conversation on last nights #scichat I decided to look into just what a 21st century science classroom should look like. Based on some of the sources that I found, along with much of the conversation of last night's discussion here's what i've come up with: I think the biggest additions to the classroom in the 21st century must involve an abundance of elasticity (in approach/assessments/grading/and beyond...) and incorporate more technology. I think the technology component is summed up pretty well by this video. Don't get turned off by the hokey title......




I think the reality we as teachers face is coming to terms with the fact that this new Y generation of students will not benefit from the same systematic teaching methods that have been used in the past. This can be scary, because this is not how we learned the material we are teaching, and as a result of this it can unquestionably push the limits of our respective comfort zones.

Students need to learn how to solve real world problems using the means of communication and the types of resources that they will have to become comfortable with (and for the most part already are comfortable with...) in the big bad world they will face once school ends. Below is a video created by a group of students in a Cultural Anthropology class at Kansas State university. I think it portrays the Y generation of learners quite well...


To help students with this, we need to become more creative as instructors, and not be afraid to take on the role of learners ourselves. During last nights #scichat @Brunsell (I think some of you may have heard of him....) shared a really cool edublog that a group of ninth grade students and their teacher put together to collaborate on an exploration of climate change. I think this project is brilliant. The teacher outlines the project very clearly. Posts are made weekly and they incorporate hard facts as well as reflections. Discussions (within the comments section) of each post then follow. I think the teacher, Mr. Wildeboer, does an excellent job of explaining how to create an effective blog post- emphasizing the importance of both content and aesthetics.

I've been trying to think about how to insert blogging into my curriculum (I teach 7th, 8th and 9th grade). I think this is a nice option, but I'd love to hear if other people in this class have come up with any ideas on how blogging fits into a 21st century classroom. I think we will all agree that it belongs in some shape of form, but what's the best and most beneficial way to use it as a learning tool (and I know this will vary to best fit us all and our teaching)??
Student Blogs? One big class blog? A current events blog? A blog devoted to just one long term class research project? How are others planning on incorporating this?

5 comments:

  1. WOW! Great videos- certainly they are thought provoking. I do wonder why we continue to use old textbooks when we can utilize dynamic info on the web. And what about these electronic readers? If we are going to use textbooks, why not get everyone a reader, put their books for the year on it, and save the paper and trouble of having books? Seems to me a good solution. Although I do still use my white board, many of our interactions in class use powerpoint laced with video and images. But - the content is still not what I would consider to be useful in everyday life as a general rule. I am continuing to work toward that. The edublog looks awesome! Thanks for posting these videos and the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i only just finished watching the first video -- it's great! we should use it for the faculty professional development workshop (another great idea of yours :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. the second video is really powerful too! thanks for these!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think WillyB's model (We Are Scientists) is perfect -- and can be used in a wide variety of disciplines. I'm thinking about using it this year in my methods class by having students explore questions of their own design related to teaching elementary science.

    Thanks for the #scichat plug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogging in a science classroom - I have a blog that shows parents and friends what we are doing in class and celebrates student's work at:
    http://brittgow.globalteacher.org.au
    I haven't got to the stage of having students add posts, but encourage them to blog about science on their own blogs. In my VCE Biology class, I use a blog to link resources and occasionally have students post at:
    http://vcebiology.edublogs.org
    Blogs, wikis and nings can be used effectively in science classrooms to allow discussion, access to expert knowledge and celebration of student work. One Year 7 student was very excited to receive a postcard and newsletter from the "Friends of the Helmeted Honeyeater" after completing and posting a project on the threatened species. 21st century classrooms are 'flat' - without walls - allowing access to the world!

    ReplyDelete